Filed under Showcase, Sports

Shooting for the scores

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shooting for the scores

On senior night, Max Machado was recognized with the ball he was playing with when he scored his 1,000th point for Imagine Prep's Varsity Basketball game.

In life, we all have our goals and achievements but for seniors Allen Luna and Max Machado, they came true.

Someone who has seen them grow over the years in basketball besides family and friends is Imagine Prep athletic director, Sean Sachau.

Sachau has stated how he has seen them grow into young men since sixth grade.

“They both have developed strong character, self discipline, and responsibility on and off the court,” Sachau said.

Sachau sees them both as leaders. He also thinks that they’ve contributed to their success by hard work, perseverance, and determination.

Luna, a senior at Imagine Prep, has scored 500 points for the varsity basketball team since he started playing his freshman year. He is also grateful of his achievement.

“It feels like every other achievement in life,” Luna said. “I felt happy.”

He’s been playing basketball for 14 years now.

Luna has also claimed that he played many other sports.

“Yes I’ve played every single sport,” Luna said. “Baseball, football, soccer, lacrosse, water polo, volleyball.”

The sports he played, weren’t as fun or entertaining to him, and explained why he chose basketball.

“Because it seemed the most fun than the other sports,” Luna said. “Baseball’s too boring, football is too physical and it’s also boring, but basketball was just something that kept me moving around and it’s nonstop fast pace.”

People have brought Luna down and that made him only stronger to play more and harder.

“Just trying to get to the next level,” Luna said. “And having people tell me that I can’t do it so that kinda motivated me to play basketball.”

Senior Allen Luna with his parents and basketball coaches Jennifer and Al Luna on senior night.

He said he named after his favorite athlete.

“Allen Iverson,” Luna said. “I was named after him and he played on the 76ers.”

Luna will continue to play his favorite sport after high school.

“I plan on playing basketball in the future for college,” Luna said. “And if I’m good enough I’ll go overseas.”

Max Machado, also a senior at Imagine Prep, has scored 1,000 points throughout his time playing high school varsity basketball.

Machado has been playing basketball for about 10 years.

He feels very happy to have achieved the points, mainly with his teammates.

“It was really fun and it was an awesome experience,” Machado said. “Especially with all my teammates, you know hyping me up and everything. It was a special night.”

Machado has played other sports but they didn’t seem to interest him as much as basketball.

“Not really, I used to play baseball a long time ago,” Machado said. “But basketball has been my main sport for my entire life.”

Machado explained why he chose to do basketball.

“I don’t know it just clicked with me from the beginning and it was the most fun for me to play so I just stuck with it.”

Machado’s favorite athlete is NBA player Victor Oladipo.

Machado explained why he likes the sport.

“It’s kind of like an art,” Machado said. “You gotta have a high IQ to play, you know what’s going on at all times, you gotta lay offense, defense, and it’s very complex but that’s why it’s so much fun for me.”

He was always watching basketball growing up and that pushed Machado to play.

“Well growing up watching a bunch of NBA teams made me kinda want to do what they do,” Machado said. “So that’s what motivated me to play often and try to get as good as I could.”

Machado explained he hasn’t really decided on his plans for basketball in the future. But he knows what he wants to do in college to somewhat still be doing things that have to do with sports.

“It’d be awesome, but I’m planning on not playing in college but who knows,” Machado said. “I want to major in sports medicine, I wanna try to go into that field of like being a trainer or like a physical therapist. That’d be cool so I could deal with athletes injuries and all that.”

One of the two greatest players on the varsity basketball team have such a great future ahead of them whether basketball is involved or not.