A cool place to spend the summer

Caedmon Waterman

More stories from Caedmon Waterman

If you’re in middle school and want to chill for your summer vacation, then do I have a few questions for you! Have you ever wanted to get out of the state? Or maybe climb to the top of a giant, snowy mountain? How about running from grizzly bears down a giant icy tundra? Well if so, Alaska is the place for you.

This summer, participating middle school students will be heading up to Alaska during their summer break. When that time comes around, they’ll be spending six whole days with Mrs. Alexandria Guzman, as she takes them to see the beautiful sights of Alaska and some of many fun activities they have to offer.

The middle school travel club will be adventuring to Alaska in June.

Guzman shared information covering all activities taking place over the course of the field trip.

“We get to go to Denali National Park where we talk to a mountaineer who actually climbed Mt. McKinley, which is the tallest mountain in North America,” Guzman said.

And she wasn’t kidding, Mt. McKinley is really the tallest mountain in the U.S, standing at 20,310 feet above sea level!

Afterwards, they’ll be seeing an Alaskan wildlife tour, where they can watch the grizzly bears fresh out of hibernation.

“We get to go whale watching, then we’re going to hike across the tundra and see glaciers. Then we’ll be visiting the Iditarod headquarters and go dog sledding, lots of fun stuff planned,” Guzman said.

Near the end of the trip the students will also get to travel to Wasilla to see the national tsunami headquarters and learn how the observers detect potential threats in our shorelines.

Between dog sledding, tundra hiking, tsunami watching and camping out next to the tallest mountain in the U.S, you can tell this voyage is very adventurous and educational, however, what should the students be taking away from their week out in this frozen wonderland? 

“Our biggest goal is getting students to see that there is a bigger world out there and a lot more exciting things, but also too experience other cultures and get to know unfamiliar people,” Guzman said.

Overall, this will be a great, educational journey for our middle schoolers, so hold on tight, because adventure will be here to sweep you off your feet before you know it!