Welcome, Glee Club, to Imagine Prep Surprise!

Imagine+Prep+Surprise+Glee+Club+practicing+for+their+next+event%3A+Dinner+with+the+Grinch.+

Imagine Prep Surprise Glee Club practicing for their next event: Dinner with the Grinch.

Kayleigh Barnes, Staff Writer

Imagine Prep Surprise has welcomed a new club to its family: Glee Club! After being M.I.A for a year, the students of the Prep have gathered together and created a new club for their peers. Thanks to the help of their teacher facilitator, sixth-grade science teacher Dane Henderson, they were able to start Glee Club, and they’re excited to share this experience with others. 

The club was started because I was passionate about singing. The school didn’t currently have any options for musical students, so I thought ‘why not,” eighth-grader Nadia Joiner said, who is the newly elected president of Glee Club. “My plans for the club initially were to successfully sing harmonies since the first Glee Club here at the Prep didn’t have that as a strong suit. As of now I’ve realized that everyone in Glee Club has their voice developed at separate stages so the major goal at the moment is getting everyone singing songs with people that suit them.” 

The club also has been busy preparing for their new event. 

“We’re going to be performing at the Dinner with the Grinch event at Imagine Prep, and some people signed up to sing the National Anthem on the news,” eleventh-grader and Vice President Jake Simpson said.

The event is being held Nov. 23 at the Imagine Prep Surprise gym from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Tickets are being sold for $10 for adults and $6 for kids, and they are only being sold for a limited time. The event will include an Italian dinner with a showing of Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, as well as a silent auction and a performance by Glee Club and the school’s Theater Club. 

Glee Club looks forward to performing at more events and assemblies as time goes on, as well. 

The club has achieved a lot in the past couple months. They have gathered a rather large group of student members, and have started board positions recently. They hold meetings every Monday and Friday from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m in classroom 211.

“Right now it has turned into a club where a group of people have created an environment of support and fun, and it’s a place where you automatically have friends and you can just belt out music when you want,” Henderson said. 

The club is student-run, and the environment is welcoming and judgment-free. They accept anyone from any grade or musical experience, as well, so go check it out if you’re interested and welcome them to the Prep!