Phobias of the Prep

Cayla Vaughan, Editor

Fears.

Some are irrational, some are hard to overcome, and some are just inherited. No matter what it may be almost everyone has some form of fear within them.

High school teacher Megan Werner’s AS Psychology surveyed students from Imagine Prep, and here are some of the results:

1. Of the 95 participants surveyed, 18 have a fear of spiders. (eight of them range from 15-18 in age.)
  2. In second lunch, every participant that stated they don’t have a fear were male.
  3. During third lunch, 9 out of 35 of the participants have a fear of clowns.

¨There was a study we looked at on phobias,¨ Werner said. ¨It was a young boy who suffered from a phobia of buttons. As an intro to the study, I wanted students to study the phobias at our school.¨

Werner´s favorite part of the survey was the discussions with the class after the students took the surveys.

¨There’s a difference between a phobia and a fear,¨ Werner said. ¨A phobia is something that hinders someone’s day to day life. I liked the conversation of the results following the survey.¨

Senior Mikaila Intemann is one of Werner’s students. She enjoys learning about different phobias.

“We started a new unit, which was studying specific phobias, and Werner thought it would be a fun study,” Intemann said. “My favorite part was looking at all the different phobias people have and why.”