Even a dime helps the March of Dimes

Senior+Tyler+Corella+%28right%29+and+junior+Jayden+Williams+%28left%29+are+the+hosts+for+this+years+March+of+Dimes+fundraiser.+

Antonia Lozano

Senior Tyler Corella (right) and junior Jayden Williams (left) are the hosts for this years March of Dimes fundraiser.

Cayla Vaughan, Editor

March of Dimes is a non profit organization that “works to improve the health of mothers and babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality”.

Every year in March, many gather around to raise money to support children born prematurely and have medical problems as a result.

In order to support the cause, Imagine Prep raises money by having a $2 dress down day, which is on April 11 this year. On April 11, there will also be a balloon release to honor those babies that are born prematurely.

Senior Tyler Corella is one of the people who organized the March of Dimes for this year. She has been involved with March of Dimes for about three years.

“A while,” Corella said. “It [March of Dimes] is close to us because my younger sister didn’t make it. This will be my family’s third year.”

Corella wanted to do something bigger this year for the fundraiser.

“We wanted to do something different besides just a dress down,” Corella said. “On April 11, there will be a balloon release to honor those who didn’t make it home. I think it will be an enriching experience for everyone involved.”

Junior Jayden Williams is also one of the organizers behind the March of Dimes Fundraiser. He feels he should be involved in the fundraiser because of his own personal story.

“I was born 25 weeks prematurely,” Williams said. “The organization basically saved my life. I know for a fact I wouldn’t be here. It’s really a group effort, without people supporting us on something as great as this, then there is really no point in trying.”

Some students at Imagine Prep have rallied together to support the cause.

Senior Hannah Fritch is one of the team leaders for the March of Dimes team. Although she isn’t a dime herself, the organization still hits close to home.

“I joined as a team leader because it’s a really close cause,” Fritch said. “I have family that are dimes and were born prematurely so it hits home. Tyler contacted me personally and asked if I wanted to join the cause, and of course I did.”